Alexa Skill for Diabetes
The ‘My Sugar’ skill for Alexa allows you to easily interact with Jade and your Jade data.
You can also create short cuts to make it easier to start Jade – see below.
Find out your current blood sugars from Dexcom, NightScout, FreeStyle Libre (via LinkBluCon and MiaoMiao) or from predictions, find out if the trajectory of your blood sugars looks safe or not.
Add logs of many different kinds, include blood sugars, carbohydrates, insulin, exercise, A1Cs, blood pressure and more.
You can also ask about active insulin.
You will be amazed by what you can ask Alexa!
Hey Alexa, tell My Sugar….
- …I am 230 …bgl 9.6 (depending on BGL units)
- …I’m having a low …I’m having a hypo …I feel high
- …to add 10 grams …to log 30.5 carbs
- …to add 5 units insulin …to add 4.8 units humalog …bolus 10 units
- …to log 30 minutes exercise …to add 1.5 hours exercise
- …to add a1c 6.8
- …to add blood pressure 120 over 80
Hey Alexa, ask My Sugar….
- …for my latest reading …my sugars
- …for active insulin …for insulin on board
- …to undo last log
- …can you repeat that?
You can also try lots of variations on these.
Short cuts to Starting Jade with Alexa
- Open the Alexa app
- Tap “more” in the lower right corner and tap “routines”
- Tap the plus button at the top right to create a new routine.
- Enter a routine name (I used “Jade”)
- Tap “when this happens”, then tap “voice” and add your custom phrase (I used “sugar”)
- Tap “add action” then tap “skills”
- Tap Your Skills, then tap “My Sugar by Jade Diabetes”. Then tap “next” upper right to confirm
- Tap “save”
You can tell it which Alexa device it will respond to. I have it set to “any device I speak to”, the very top one.
I found that the “name” you give it can be different than it’s command phrase. For simplicity I just used “sugar” for both.
This can be very helpful if someone in your home finds you unresponsive and doesn’t know how to check your pump or meter. All they have to do is say, “Alexa sugar” and it will read your most current glucose. Also helpful if you have Alexa Echo Auto and use it in your car. As you’re driving, just say “Alexa sugar” and without taking your eyes off the road or your hands off the wheel, you can get your readings.
Alexa My Sugar for Jade Diabetes Suggestions?
If you have suggestions for more utterances you’d like My Sugar for Alexa to handle, please let us know!