Insulin Pump Accuracy
When given a blood glucose reading, insulin pumps reduce the insulin to be delivered by the amount of Active Insulin, or Insulin on Board (IOB).
To calculate the Active Insulin, you must know the patient’s Active Insulin Time, the time(s) of prior dose(s), and the dose amount(s).
Active Insulin can be estimated :
- using a linear (straight line) ramp-down function. Poor accuracy, especially at the first 20% and last 20% of time period
- using a pre-calculated table of discrete values with hourly or half-hourly intervals. Reasonably accurate, except at the start and end of the interval. Often found on devices with power constraints e.g. insulin pumps, BG meters and naive iPhone Apps.
- directly from the insulin-action, algorithmically. Highly accurate, but complex to compute.
Insulin Pumps and BG meters are necessarily limited by battery power, small CPUs, integer-only arithmetic and small amounts of memory.
By contrast, Jade Diabetes runs on a server farm with copious memory, power and CPU computational ability and floating-point arithmetic. Jade Diabetes is able to track even tiny insulin amounts that are still present even after the usual ‘Active Insulin Time’ has expired, leading to better detection of insulin stacking and improved hypo avoidance.
- Diabetes and Tele-Health
- Diabetes and Symlin
- Diabetes and Glimepiride
- Diabetes and Gastroparesis
- Diabetes and Lipohypertrophy
- Diabetes and High Impact Exercise
- Diabetes and Menstruation
- Diabetes and Adrenalin
- Diabetes and Sick Days
- Diabetes and Stress
- Diabetes and Alcohol
- Books and Audio Resources
- Nerve Damage – How does diabetes affect the nerves?
- Diabetic Thyroids
- Diabetic Kidneys
- Diabetic Blood Pressure
- Diabetic Eye Exams
- Preventing Night Hypos – Overnight BGL Testing
- Diabetes Software and Downloads
- Delay Eating
- Glucagon Rescue
- Total Daily Dose (TDD)
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring System (CGMSs) List
- Insulin Pump Holidays – Diabetes
- Insulin Pumps List
- Blood Glucose Meters List
- Insulin Pump Accuracy
- Dead In Bed
- Points Report
- Blood Glucose Log Book
- A1C/HbA1C – what is it?
- Jelly Beans
- Starchy Carbs
- Meal Sizes
- Low-GI foods
- High-GI foods
- Diabetes Back to School Checklist
- Basal Insulin
- Bolus Insulin
- Hyperglycaemia – High Blood Sugar
- Long Term Complications of Diabetes
- Glucose Tablets for Diabetes
- Hypoglycaemia – Low Blood Sugar
- Diabetes and Exercise
- Diabetes and Pain